The Scarlet Thread - Discussion Guide
We hope you have enjoyed this timeless story of family relationships and God’s faithfulness. His faithfulness in our failures, His healing in our brokenness, and His timing in restoration.
Tattered and torn scraps of cloth may seem worthless to the onlooker, yet when sewn together by loving hands and embellished with shiny thread they become a treasured heirloom. So it is with our families and our lives. What we see as brokenness, failures, and hopelessness, God uses to refine us. He weaves the shiny scarlet thread of His love to develop our faith in Him. “For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so that we can do the good things he planned for us long ago” (Ephesians 2:10).
May the following discussion guide help you see the scarlet thread God is weaving into your life to make you fit for eternity.
1. In your opinion, what was the cause/causes for the family problems Sierra and Alex were having? How did Sierra and Alex contribute to their own problems? What efforts were made to resolve their differences?
2. Compare Sierra and Mary Kathryn. How are they similar? Different? How did their communication skills affect their relationships?
3. How do you rate your own communication skills? Read Proverbs 12:18 and 15:23. What do those verses say about communication? How can you apply them to your own life?
4. Contrast Alex with James. What self-perceived inadequacies did they operate under? How did this thinking affect their decisions and choices?
5. What perceived inadequacies motivate your decisions? How can you overcome those inadequacies? What solution does Proverbs 29:25 provide?
6. Proverbs 17:3 says, “Fire tests the purity of silver and gold, but the Lord tests the heart.” What trials did Sierra and Mary Kathryn face? How well did they face those difficulties? What trials are you facing in your life?
7. In what ways are Ron Peirozo and Kavanaugh alike? How are they different from Alex and James? Why are they appealing? Read Proverbs 16:32 and Proverbs 29:23; how do those verses apply to the men in this story?
8. Who did God use to get Sierra’s attention? How did she respond? Who did God use with Mary Kathryn and what was her response?
9. How has God used people in your life to draw you to Himself? What actions did you take in response? How can you be a loyal friend like the one mentioned in Proverbs 17:17?
10. Did Sierra do the right thing at the end of the story? If you were in her shoes, would you have made the same choice? Is there a time and a place where divorce is the right course of action? What does the Bible say?
11. Discuss God’s faithfulness to Alex and Sierra. In what ways did God demonstrate His faithfulness to Mary Kathryn and Kavanaugh?
12. As you look back over your life, how has God been drawing you to Himself? In the midst of failures or brokenness, how has He been faithful to you? Can you see His scarlet thread of love making you fit for eternity? Read Psalm 25:6 and Romans 8:28-30.